Things To Do in Carlsbad & San Diego
Thank you for booking to stay at your vacation home, Carlsbad beach Condo.com Here are a few items your family might be interested in planning for activities during your stay.
San Diego is a diverse metro area with lots of brand name attractions you might like to visit. Many of these are all day, busy excursions. There are few local gems. Short trips, within a few minutes drive. These ideas represent a simple, stimulating morning or afternoon excursion. Leaving plenty of time to relax, vacation and enjoy the beach.
- Seasonal- SUMMER
- The Carlsbad flower fields https://www.theflowerfields.com is an easy, close by beautiful botanical attraction that many people visit and enjoy. This is seasonal March 1 through May 10.
- If the beach and waves of the pacific are not exciting enough for you there is a wave runner and paddle board lagoon, http://carlsbadlagoon.com
- Have you heard of fish called the Grunion? Grunion hunting can be a great fun event, https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing/ocean/grunion#28425746-introduction Late March to Early June is the high season for grunion hunting. The website has a great deal of information, and potentially this can all happen steps from your vacation home.
- Moonlight Theater, is an outdoor amphitheater in Vista, the next town over. It is very casual, with some wonderful outdoor performances. Easy to get to. They always have a kids performance on the summer schedule. https://www.moonlightstage.com/plan-your-visit
- The city of Carlsbad has a summer Friday night free concert series June through August in our local parks. None of them are very far, and some of the parks are very close to you. Take a blanket, take a picnic basket, and enjoy the music, dance a little if you want. Check out the information for these concerts here http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/depts/arts/events/tgif/
- http://www.carlsbadmusicfestival.org/ is a beginning of August Music festival right at the beach downtown.
- Carlsbad City
- There are many small street fairs and festivals through the year.
- November is the https://carlsbad.org/event/fall-carlsbad-village-street-faire/all/
- Wednesdays are the Carlsbad farmers market. The hours vary by season https://www.carlsbad-village.com/events/farmers-market
- ALL YEAR LONG:
- If you have a craftsman, a tinkerer, the person who likes to build and create, please check out the https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com Its pretty amazing either way, but if you can get a docent to show you around, they definitely add a lot of interesting background to the displays.
- The Gemological institute of America (GIA) is a college for gem cutters and appraisers. They have an interesting tour by appointment https://www.gia.edu/gia-museum , in a lovely building with a small museum. Just call the number on the website and set up an appointment. A docent will meet you and give a brief tour. It’s short, different and interesting.
- Across the street from the GIA is the Museum of Making Music. https://www.museumofmakingmusic.org that is great as well. Particularly if you have any family with a high interest in music.
- Walk the City Tours https://www.walkthecitytours.com this is run by a friend of mine. It is a half mile away, also a short easy and local history tour. If you do book this, tell Rhonda that I sent you.
- Del Mar fairgrounds. This is the home of so many events. Some of them are staples, like the SD County fair, in the first part of the summer. Typical fair food, 4H attractions, exhibits, rides. They also book some fantastic talent for music and other entertainment. After July 4th is the Horse racing season. For some, an afternoon at the Del Mar racetrack is a fun afternoon, an atypical entertainment venue. All year they book a variety of shows, exhibits, attractions. Check out the calendar and see if there is an interesting activity. http://www.delmarfairgrounds.com/index.php?fuseaction=calendar.home
- Some of the other attractions you might be interested in for longer and much full days are
- Legoland is very close. This place is heaven for 8-14 year olds.
- Balboa Park: Museums, exhibits, Live Theater, Imax Cinema, special events, 3d Archery. https://www.balboapark.org/plan they have many special events, exhibits activities. Check the web site.
- Sea World, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park, All about 24 miles
- Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm . About 60 miles
- Golf, there are many golf courses very close
- Surfing, This part of San Diego hosts a number of great breaks, of course they change with tides and storms and seasons so check out the surf report.